PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Crusader Kings the FAQ (englisch)

Maximilian I
02.07.02, 20:07
by Aetius

This is a blatant rip off of von Murrin's FAQ thread in the HOI forum. I have put together what I could find on the Crusader King's details in different threads, the official information is a bit sketchy though. As far as I have found Greven and Sergei have been the ones providing "off the record" information on the thread. Johan, Patric and Boreal_S have not really revealed anything outside the official release info.

On time span in game
1066-1453, game starts after battle of Hastings (not direct quotes but both from Greven)

On geographic span and details
The map is limited to Europe, stretching roughly to the Urals in the east and including parts of Persia and the Arabian Peninsula as well as the coast of North Africa. SGO Preview.
Iceland is in, Greenland is not in game (Aetius note)...from historical reasons.
Secondly its not Bohuslän or Båhuslän as the Fortress of Bohus was not yet built. Its called Viken in the old scrolls. Greven
Provinces ... are quite a bit smaller than in EU. SGO Preview.
Comment by Alzate
Last but not least, I expect that you maintain the idea of reducing EU2 provinces. if not, spain and Italy will not be that interesting: 3 counties in portugal, 3 in the holy land...
Heh! No fear not Brave Knight the provinces have been broken down. Greven

On playable countries
You can play...
1)Christian Empires
2)Christian Kingdoms
3) Christian Independent Duchies (ie non-vassals at start)
You play a Dynasty, but dynasties control land. Greven

Hmm...As I said in some other post....RL Feudalism hierarchy was a mishmash created from an ideal situation changed by 'Realpolitik'. Now in a game we need a stringent and doable system thus we will use a three tier Ideal system. This means that a powerless dynasty officially titled duch or even a Petty King will be treated as a Count. Thus not playable. Greven

Question from Wasa: What about the Papacy?
Not playable, but controllable... Greven

Sergei's comment:
imagine having a choice of whether to start for one of the 20-30 Russian princes and attempt to unite before the Horde arrives to provide adequate defence...
Aetius comment on the above: Sergei's comment is from a discussion on the Mongols. His comment has been cut to avoid confusion in case that the Mongols, which are unplayable, are thought to be playable. The question remains if there are 20-30 Russian principalities in the game.

Sergei's comment on the Mongols:
Re: Mongols in CK, Boreal and Joakim (aka "Greven"-Aetius) are really much up to date with the topic than I am -- all I can say is that the Horde is unplayable for a number of reasons, including the difference in structure of the state that wouldn't fall well with the European ones. Then again, you must consider the whole scope of Horde's invasion -- if we exclude from the game China and Asia, we give Mongols an easy time, a walk in the park I may add.

On diplomacy
Comment by Pishtaco:
I hope it's a cat-herding game. Maybe you have a little territory, and a little army (although you can take command of larger armies, and pray that they will obey you reliably) but mostly you have a load of vassal families who you can give goals to and hope that they act accordingly. The same with the Orders, if you give them enough money or are prestigious enough.
This I think is a good description of the situation. Greven

Next pope
the Cardinals choose every Pope. Greven

On orders militant:
Sorry but there is was unfortenantly a bad formulation in the overview text. You cannot play it as a country as they are organizations and not dynasties. However, your dynasty can take control of an Order. Greven
You control them indirectlyGreven
Question by Surcouf:
a kind of like vassalship in eu?
Answer:
Yes but more control. Greven
Replying to a question from Onslaught:
If you mean granting fiefs (to orders militant) as was done historically then these fiefs would be too small to be represented on the map.Greven

On crusades:
You can go crusade independently if you want to Greven

Conquest
There is no such thing (a temporary CB) in CK. You must have a claim to get a CB for a war that give you a vassal or demesne. Certain *things* may give you non-claim CB's but then you can only get tribute. There are no Peace Treaties with penalties for war mainly because the prerequisites for war will be much tougher in CK than in for example EU2. Greven
Basically if you defeat another ruler you might get his vassals. That is either that his old vassal become your vassal or that you install your own vassal there. At some occasions you may turn a conquered province into a Demesne Province (which is approximately as EU2 owned provinces). Though you never hold many Demesne provinces.
The important change is that you must have a claim on a province to get it at all. Greven

Raising Armies
The military forces are raised at the county level, each county producing an indivisible regiment (the composition depending on the culture, social groups, and other factors unique the county), which then are grouped into armies. Sonny quoting from the game info-link
Each province can generate a Regiment. The troop type composition and its n : o men will depend upon the province... Is it rich? What terrain type? What did it historically produce (troop type)? What manpower level does the province have? This will give us a great varity of Regiments. Note also that provincial attrition will stand in relation to these values. ~ Greven
Social groups....You can influence the balance of power between them...thus you can influence the composition of the provincial regiment... Greven
Also can the monarch recruit troops on his own? Other than mercenaries of course. Sonny
No except the Royal Host of course...This make it such importance to go along with your vassals...I mean if your vassals don't turn up... Greven

On campaigning
Wasa's comment:
All armies should be disbanded off-season.
They are...If not...you have bought it a supply train for the winter... Supply Trains are....Luxuries...by the way..... Greven

On Family and Dynasty:
There is a dynastic system Greven
The goal of the game is to amass as much Prestige and Piety as possible for your dynasty.SGO Preview.
Question from Drakken:
Shall CK include a button or a screen where we can see our dynasty family tree, so we may check the overwhelming complexity of nobiliar dynsties with marriage, descendants and lines of succession?
Answer:
Yupp...and skills, fertility, age, titles, Personal Traits etc. No more commetns on this one though. Greven

Vassals
Question by Alzate
Does it mean that you will have a pool of vassals to pick & reward?
Yes, its called your 'Court'. Greven

Social Groups
...provinces will have four social groups: Nobles, Clergy, Burghers and Peasants. Each with a Power value and a Loyalty value. So provinces with large and powerful cities, and of course Trade Republics will have very powerful Burghers in their provinces. Greven
Musings by Euro-Maniac
I think you should get an economic boost for more burghers or perhaps a naval boost as well?
I think you should get a tax reduction for clergy, but a technological boost. I think also you should gain more popularity and control over the Vatican and perhaps later the HRE because of the clergy advantage. Perhaps your clergy can be elected Pope or HRE?
Peasants I think should at least maintain tax value, and if more increase it.
Nobles should probably give a boost to military with cavalry especially, also they should give a boost in diplomacy as well. I think Nobles should also cause trouble, revolt risks perhaps if an unfriendly noble? Also if a noble is present in a province you could hire mercenaries there?

Most of these thingies are in... Greven

Domestic sliders
Comment by Clemens August
Real laws rather than domestic policy sliders would be far better. Domestic Policy Sliders are too abstract and offer little historical detail. Laws/edicts do. Domestic Policy Sliders are the easy way out, but certainly not the best.
It could have been far worse.. The absolutely easiest solution of hardcoded country stats.
Johan
So this means there are sliders in CK? I think a more tangible system of laws/edicts/decrees would be far more fun. Nobles, peasants or the clergy would start demand certain measures risking internal destabilization and revolt, should these demands not be met. Some measures would be popular with the burghers, but be abolutely hated by the nobility. BTW, the Antikgames' lineup have laws/edicts and hence for their own medieval game, Great Invasions.
You do realise that these are all ideas which we had implemented in Svea Rike3.. Balancing the four social classes against each other with edicts and laws, and also through events was the chore of the non-military part of that game. Crusader Kings will have all these aspects, but of a deeper detail. And which I discussed in deep detail with Mr.Thibault last time I met him. It seems he learned something there and I hope his game will become good too
Johan

COTs perhaps replaced?
The COTs are a crap system for a game.
It has its flaws. EU2 uses the original COT system designed by Philippe Thibault, and we have not had the time to redesign a new system until now.
Johan

Music and Sound
If Johan allows me, I will comment on the musical score for Crusader Kings. For now, I can assure you it will be in MP3 format. And similar in style, yet VERY different from EU2. More tol follow... Fredrik
All sound effects will be new. Fredrik

Province Improvements
There will not be Manufactories as in EU, but there will be Provincial Buildings much like the City buildings in the old Civ-series. Greven

Additional information is available from websites that have been posted, I see no reason to add the information here:
Official page:
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/crusader.asp
Posted by Spooky:
Strategy Gaming Online preview
Strategy Gaming Online interview with Doomdark and Greven
Posted by Fate
http://www.gamesdomain.com/news/7310.html
Sergei has generously provided this opportunity to brush up on your Russian:
http://www.snowball.ru/forums/?board=crusaders
I, for one, regret that I have let my Russian skills deterioate so far I can't make out enough to translate it. Anyone willing to pm me a translation or post one here?
If anyone get more information out of Snowball or Paradox in the forum or for that matter identify the forum names used by Snowball (apart from Sergei and Boreal_s), please post it so I can include it in the "faq".