PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : CIV III. Add On: Play the World

von Holstein
11.11.02, 14:20
Das viel erwartete CIV II Add On: Play the World scheint sich leider zu einem Desaster zu entwickeln. Die angekuendigte Multiplayerfaehigkeit ist ein Witz: Sie funtktioniert einfach nicht !
Und neue Scenarien ? Pah ! Die allermeisten von der Community uebernommen. Der Scenarioeditor erlaubt es immer noch nicht die diplomatischen Relations zwischen den teilnehmenden Nationen zu definieren, also koennen sinnvolle historische Scenarien gar nicht erstellt werden. :(
Hier eine gute Zusammenfassunf (in englisch) von folgender Seite: Netjack (http://www.netjak.com/Reviews/windows/c3.htm)

New maps and scenarios.
There is plenty of new maps and scenarios to choose from. However, with a few rare exceptions, all of them are fan-made, and were available for free download from the Internet a long time ago.

Why the game is not worth it
Let's face it: Play the World is a glorified patch, not an expansion. Consider the following: Most maps and scenarios were already available from the Web. According to my last count, there are over 20 civilizations available for free download on various fan sites. The multiplayer, which doesn't work (I'll get to it in a moment), can hardly compete with the multiplayer patch for Heroes of Might and Magic IV, which is available as a free download. The editor, while slightly improved, doesn't allow to set custom diplomatic status among the players, and as such is completely useless for creating advanced scenarios, such as World War II. Finally, the interface improvements should have come with the original game, or with a regular patch. All in all, I paid $30 only for two new city improvements, three new terrain improvements and one new wonder. This is hardly worth the price, if you ask me

Final verdict - 4.5 of 10
About a month ago, I was complaining that the expansion for Heroes of Might and Magic IV was overpriced. I still think so, but compared with Play the World, it suddenly looks like quite a good deal. The Civilization III expansion is not only vastly overpriced, it is unnecessary as a boxed title at all. A patch download from the official site would be more than sufficient to offer the majority of improvements Play the World offers. Firaxis has pulled the PC gaming heist of the century: they made me spend $80 on a single game. Remind me, please, not to buy another game from them.

Das Leben ist voller Enttaeuschungen. :(
von Holstein

General Blücher
11.11.02, 17:45
Tja, CicIII lebte halt nur noch vom Namen.